I hate it when a beautiful wedding is ruined because someone could not hold their liquor and is making a scene. They become loud (sometimes revealing secrets), violent, breaking stuff and make other guests very uncomfortable. It’s also quite embarrassing for the host. That’s one reason why alcohol was not served at my wedding.
So how do you avoid such from happening at the next event you host?
- Don’t invite them! Plain and simple right?
- If they must be invited, set your expectations while inviting them
- Don’t serve alcoholic drinks
- If you must serve alcoholic drinks
- Serve low strength alcohol
- Provide lots of water and food
- Plan activities that will distract
- Periodically announce and remind your guest to not go overboard
- Have someone serve the drinks and make sure he can detect when a guest had enough
- Get a bouncer who can quickly remove them from the scene
What do you do if all the above does not work and you still have an intoxicated guest?
- Stay calm
- Do not try to argue with them in their drunken state
- Don’t embarrass them in public, pull them aside and talk with them
- If unsuccessful, ask for help from someone they can listen to
- Help them sober up e.g. have them drink water and rest
- Make sure they have a safe way of getting home. You are still responsible for them.
Did you find this article helpful? Please like, comment and share to help someone else.
About the author
Dr. Ekwoge Hilda is a trained pharmacist from Cameroon and Co-founder of HILPharma. When she is not busy creating content, she slings pills to pay the bills.