There is this phobia for cannabis hair oil. I grew up hearing ‘Indian hemp’ aka ‘banga’ is great for hair growth. They dded it will make you grow mad like those who ‘smoke banga’. So I never bought it until only recently when i decided to read about it.
Why the confusion?
For starters, though the terms are wrongly used interchangeably, marijuana and hemp are 2 different plants of the same Cannabis family. Cannabis plants contain over 85 different chemicals called cannabinoids responsible for its properties.
Of these cannabinoids, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol) are the most common. THC is responsible for the mind altering effects and addictive effects and CBD is non-addictive (keep this in mind, this is the main difference that will make you understand the rest).
Here are the main differences between marijuana and hemp.
|Plant||Short and bushy||Skinny and taller|
|Cultivation||Controlled environment-tropical setting, heat and humidity needed||No particular specifications. Can grow in almost environment.|
|THC content (addictive property)||High||Low|
|CBD content (non addictive)||Low||High|
|Use||Drug (medicinal and recreational)||Industrial purposes: clothing, building, skin products, dietary supplements…|
|Safety||High risk of abuse||Safe|
Now the greatest area of confusion comes from their oils and issues around the safety of these oils.
- Made from the whole hemp plant.
- Low THC and high CBD content
- Less controversial alternative to marijuana while retaining its benefits (e.g. relief from pain and other symptoms without the mind-altering effects of marijuana)
Hemp seed oil
- Hemp seed rich in protein, potassium, calcium, omega 3 and 6, polyunsaturated fats.
- Its color ranges from light green to dark green, to clear/colorless based on refining
- No cannabinoids (neither CBD nor THC), non-addictive
- Used as dietary supplements
- Found in most beauty products. Treats dry skin problems (not advisable in cancer patients)
- Great for hair growth (strengthens hair texture, improves hair elasticity and condition
- Very potent form of cannabis where the resins are extracted using solvents like alcohol
- Very high content in THC and low CBD, very addictive
- Limited medicinal use
Hope that helped. Do not be afraid to use your ‘banga’ hair oil!
Don’t forget to share this post!
About the author
Dr. Ekwoge Hilda is a trained pharmacist from Cameroon and Co-founder of HILPharma. When she is not busy creating content, she slings pills to pay the bills.